The Kōwhai Specialist Teacher Outreach Service (STOS) provides a specialist itinerant teaching service for .1 and .2 ORS funded students who are enrolled in mainstream schools in our area. The service is recognised by and reported to the Ministry of Education.
- To provide an excellent service to support ORS funded students and those supporting them, within local mainstream settings.
- To support mainstream schools to build their capacity to enable their students with special needs to have full access to the NZC and be confident and included learners.
- To align with the 'Success For All' plan to promote a fully inclusive education system.
Key elements of Kowhai's Outreach Service:
- Inclusive Practice
- Support based on need
- Access to and coverage of the NZC
- Cultural Responsiveness
- Evidence based
Meet the Staff
Specialist Teacher and STOS Coordinator
What we offer:
- Assessing a student’s learning needs
- Supporting with IEP planning and implementation
- Planning and preparing individual programmes
- Monitoring and evaluating progress and achievement
- Assisting teachers to differentiate and adapt the curriculum for student’s specific needs
- Creating and adapting learning resources and strategies for individual student’s needs
- Supporting student's social, emotional and behavioural needs which may impact on learning
- Modelling teaching strategies and practices
- Teaching students on a one to one basis, with their class or in small group settings
- Collaboration with families and other agencies working with the student to ensure consistency
How to access the service:
- Schools request the Specialist Teacher Outreach Service.
- They transfer their ORS staffing to Kowhai Special School, this may be a .1 (High Needs) or .2 (Very High Needs).
- We employ the Specialist Teacher for the student.
- A Memorandum of Agreement between Kowhai Special School and the student's school is signed. This outlines the roles and responsibilities for both schools.
- The Ministry hold the agreement and monitor the service.