Flaxmere College Satellite (Te Puawai)
Our High School Satellite is located at Flaxmere College in a welcoming community environment. Younger students join the High School class before moving onto Kowhai TEC in the year they turn 18. In 2023 we have four High School classes in our newly opened building.
Our programme is characterised by formal programmes in English and Maths.
Participation in mainstream Flaxmere College includes:
- Involvement in assemblies
- Joining in whole school days, for example the annual Cross Country
- One period a week timetabled from a mainstream teacher in Food Technology, Maori Performing Arts, Visual Art, or e-Learning.
Our programme is focussed on developing independence and choice and incorporates:
- Specialist input to meet student needs (Physiotherapist, Speech language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Educational Psychologist and Music Therapist)
- Focus on IEP goals developed by parents, specialist providers and teachers
- A Careers programme
- Participation in Kōwhai Special School’s current topic based on the Key Competencies
- Programmes of swimming, gym and other Health and Physical Education activities
- Te Reo, Pasifika, The Arts including music, and Food Technology are also included in the timetable
- There is also participation in community outings, Kōwhai Special School events, Special Olympic events, and other opportunities in the community.