Kowhai Tec (Te Kāuru)
The Kowhai Tertiary Education Course (Kowhai Tec) is based at the St Peter's Church, 1202 Ada Street, Parkvale and caters for all students aged 18 – 21.
It aims to:
- Teach the skills required to equip students 18+ for their future lives.
- Give students 18+ choices and opportunities to develop their own interests and promote their own well-being.
Kowhai Tec has a future focus on accessing the community and teaches the New Zealand Curriculum’s Tertiary Competencies:
- Using tools interactively
- Acting autonomously
- Operating in social groups
Kowhai Tec provides a specialised Life Skills programme with home skills, health, transport, recreation, advocacy, and vocational components. Students also engage in a range of community-based activities:
- Guitar lessons
- ICT lessons
- Self defense @ Kupa International Karate
- Special Olympics and Games
- Shake, Rattle & Roll
- Complex Forme Gym/Pool
- Accessing the local libraries, shops, parks & buses
Kowhai Tec concurrently runs a sensory-based programme for our students with very high needs. This includes proven programmes such as Tac Pac, music therapy, physiotherapy and hydrotherapy.
Kowhai Tec students access the Kowhai specialists and therapists, and have 6 monthly Individual Transition Plans (ITP’s) with their whanau to identify priorities for their learning.
Kei te whakanui o matou akonga!