Our vision is to nurture and develop students’ potential and abilities, guiding them on their learning journey and preparing them for life's challenges.
Kōwhai Special School nurtures and develops each student’s potential and abilities by providing individualised learning programmes for our diverse population, allowing every student to learn in a caring, supportive and enriching environment.
Individual learning programmes are supported by:
- Individual Education Plans
- On site therapists (Speech Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Music Therapist, Physiotherapist, Psychologist)
- Close links with families and communities through daily contact, school wide events and consultation
- The New Zealand Curriculum with an emphasis on the Key Competencies, English and Maths
- Specialised programmes (e.g. PECS, Sign, SPEC, MOVE, Communication)
- High levels of staffing
- Regular physical activity including swimming and Riding for the Disabled (junior students)
- Life skills incorporated into class and individual programmes
- Mainstream integration opportunities
- Supported transitions through our school pathway and post school options